Austin is such a magical place to celebrate the holidays. There is so much to see and do to get you in the holiday spirit. We’ve rounded up our top 10 favorite things to do in Austin for the holidays!
10. See the magical gingerbread village at the Four Seasons. Each year, the Four Seasons transforms their lobby into a winter wonderland while displaying incredible gingerbread house creations. Don’t miss this free culinary masterpiece!
9. Go ice skating on the roof of Whole Foods. This charming little rink is the perfect place to skate for the holidays! It’s an Austin tradition! Come and skate from November 24 – January 15 from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. for $10 per person (includes skate rental)
8. Join in the Holiday Singalong and Downtown Stroll. On Saturday, December 2, you can find your holiday cheer right in the heart of downtown! Enjoy live music and dance, a market, and even a visit from Santa!
7. See Santa on the Terrace at the Long Center. Every year, Santa makes an early visit at the Long Center, and going to see him is FREE! On Friday, November 24 at 10 a.m., you can meet jolly old St. Nick and get a free photo with him!
6. Ride the North Pole Flyer. On Saturdays and Sundays starting November 25 and running through December 9, you can take a magical 2 hour train ride with Santa and Ms. Claus! The trip even includes hot cocoa and a holiday cookie for everyone! Listen to a live reading of their original Christmas story and get a visit from Santa, along with a free gift.
5. Build a gingerbread house at the Thinkery. Nothing beats their delicious authentic gingerbread! This fun holiday activity is a favorite among local families. All supplies are included in the price, and you can extend your fun outing by exploring the Thinkery museum when you’re done making your creations!
4. Run in the annual Austin Trail of Lights Fun Run! This year on December 2, you can run the 2.1 miles under the stars and over 2 million twinkling lights along the Austin Trail of Lights path! It’s the most fun way to stay active and healthy during the holidays!
3. See The Nutcracker at the Long Center. Each year, Ballet Austin brings their stunning performance of The Nutcracker to the Long Center, starting on December 3 and going through December 23. Make it a family tradition!
2. Attend the Zilker Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony. This annual free event kicks off the holidays in Austin on November 26! Come see the gigantic holiday tree at Zilker and take a spin under the magical lights!
1. Of course the NUMBER ONE THING to do in Austin for the holidays is to walk through the Austin Trail of Lights! See over 2 million lights on over 40 displays, drink hot cocoa with Santa, take lots of pictures at hundreds of unique photo ops, and make lasting memories! There’s nothing better than the Trail of Lights in Austin for the holidays!
Thank you Austin! 2017 Austin Trail of Lights was filled with smiling faces, amazing performances from our community and of course millions of twinkling lights! From spinning under the Zilker Tree, around the carousel and Ferris Wheel to visits with Santa - check out a few highlights!